Y’all. Last Friday was the first day of fall and if you saw my insta post that day, you know that I’m pumped. Not for PSL’s or Pumpkin Spice Anything. I’m pumped for the decline of mosquito season.
I don’t know about where you are, but here in Austin the mosquitoes have been TERRIBLE this summer. But fret no more, the end is near. Yes, it’s still in the 90’s-100’s outside but soon, my friends, it’ll be in the 80’s.
In celebration, I’ve thrown together a list of things that I can’t wait to do this fall! Some things are Austin-specific, some are not, and I’ve made sure to call out my dog-friendly ideas with a * as well. Stella is just as pumped as I am!
- Tailgating.* I’ll be honest and say I’m not a football fan but I do enjoy hanging out with friends and eating junk food in an unconventional way (like off a grill on someone’s truck bed). Plus, Jake’s an Aggie who always appreciates my participation in his school spirit 😉
- Hiking.* We love hiking the Austin Greenbelt but it’s been too stinking hot lately. I’m excited to take Stella to explore new areas for hiking this fall!
- Kayaking. Jake just did a ridiculous thing (he bought an inflatable kayak) and we have yet to take advantage of it for fear of being eaten alive by mosquitoes in the evenings. Cooler weather and fewer mosquitoes make perfect conditions for evening kayaking along Lady Bird Lake!
- Onion Creek.* For those who, like me, have not been to the Onion Creek park, it looks amazing and has a great off-leash area for dogs! The Austin Parks site boasts playgrounds for kiddos and lots of trails for hiking, biking, blading, walking, you name it!
- Visit a pumpkin patch. I feel like this is just a necessary activity in fall. Like, it’s not really fall until you’ve surrounded yourself with tons of orange gourds. They’re popping up all over the place but if you’re not sure where to go, you can find one around Austin here!
- Transition my wardrobe. I know this one doesn’t seem as fun but I’m SO excited to put away my summer tanks and pull out all my beautiful winter scarves! Winter capsule wardrobe, here I come!
- Orionid meteor shower.* Jake and I had our first date watching the Super Blood Moon Eclipse back in September of 2015. Ever since then, I’ve loved celestial events! The Orionid meteor shower will happen sometime between 11pm October 20th – dawn on the 21st and should be able to be seen from most of the U.S. (assuming weather conditions play nice). I’d love to pack a picnic and some caffeine and watch “stars” shoot across the sky!
- Trying out a Pumpkin Juice recipe. My inner (and outer) Harry Potter nerd has always wanted to try pumpkin juice and what better time to do that than the fall? I’ll be trying out a recipe from friends over at Favorite Family Recipes if you want to join me!
What are you most excited about this fall? Is there something specific you look forward to every year? Have a different Pumpkin Juice recipe I should try? Let me know in the comments!